What would you do without it? It’s not size that counts. But practically any type of small business might grow to depend on their small van.
For self-employed tradesmen in particular, a small van is often found to be the perfect answer for getting lighter loads of materials and supplies or tools and equipment from one job to another.
Like any small workhorse, of course you want to treat it well, look after and protect it through still more years of faithful service. Your business probably depends on it.
And that’s what is likely to make your choice of small van insurance so important. Van cover is capable of providing the safeguards you need against theft, loss or damage of this critical business asset and provides you with the financial wherewithal to pay for repairs that they become necessary or even to buy a new one if it is totally written off.
Although the principle of protecting your van against such misfortune may be simple and straight forward enough, when it comes to insurance you are likely to be posed with a number of important and potentially critical decisions.
To help you make those that are appropriate for your own, individual business needs, you might want to turn to our specialist advice and guidance here at constructaquote.com.
- If you ever need to make a claim, you may be glad of the free claims assist policy we provide with every van insurance policy issued
- There is no excess to pay if you have a non-fault claim
- Whenever you are involved in an accident, we provide a full accident management service
- We provide a like-for-like replacement vehicle following a non-fault claim
- Using our panel of 17 leading insurers we look for the appropriate policy for you on your behalf.
Finding the appropriate small van insurance
In order to compare quotes meaningfully and to choose the appropriate van cover to suit your business, there are a number of decisions and considerations to take into account.
Perhaps the first and most important of these is the level of cover you need.
Third party only cover
- This level of cover provides both third party cover and protection of your van against the risk of fire or it being stolen
- Any settlement in the event of a claim is made according to the insurer’s valuation of the vehicle immediately prior to the accident
- If you want to protect your small van against any kind of accident damage, third party claims, fire or theft, you are likely to be looking for comprehensive insurance
- Whether any loss or damage is your own fault or as the result of others’ actions, you may rest assured that some degree of compensation is available either for the repair of your vehicle or its replacement in the event of a total loss
- The newer your van, the more likely you are to seek this most inclusive form of insurance – which might even include the replacement of the van as new if it becomes a total loss within the first year or so of its life.
Whatever age or condition of your small van, however, it is worth bearing in mind that the least amount of protection may not always prove the cheapest. Comprehensive insurance, in other words, might in fact prove a more economic buy than cover which offers only third party, fire and theft cover.
What happens in the event of an accident?
After an accident, your van is likely to be out of action until you are able to get it repaired.
You may have taken the precaution of arranging comprehensive insurance, so the repairs to your van are covered. But it is bad enough when your own driving error ends up with significant damage to your van. You are likely to be kicking yourself for the mistake.
How much more difficult it is to stomach when someone else is responsible for an accident which puts the vehicle off the road for a week or so until it is repaired, but whilst your business suffers as a result. On top of that, you might be worried about recovering any excess you paid on the repairs and, of course, any effect the claim might have on your no claims discount.
With our full accident management service, however, your concerns following any non-fault accident may be put to rest. The legal expenses cover that comes with this help to ensure that you secure the other party’s admission of liability and, so, are able to recover your excess, without any impact on your no claims discount.
Best of all, perhaps, we find you a like-for-like replacement vehicle for as long as it takes to get your own van repaired, so that your business may continue to run as normal.