Transit van insurance

Keep your business going by keeping it protected with constructaquote.com.

Why choose us?

  • Specialist commercial van broker service and experience
  • Option to cover for hire and reward
  • Large panel of insurers with optional extras for you and your business
  • Dedicated customer support with a UK based contact centre
Feefo Logo
Constructaquote Feefo Star Rating

Rated out of 5
from reviews

28 years of insuring business Call Us

What is transit van insurance?

Transit van insurance is a form of cover specifically designed to cover Ford Transit vans, usually for commercial purposes. Transit vans offer one of the smoothest, most comfortable drives in the world, and are spacious enough to make them versatile for a variety of workplace applications.

Transit van insurance ensures that your vehicle is protected on the road and will also cover other road users in the event of an accident, if it was your fault. Your transit van insurance policy can be tailored precisely to your requirements, depending on the nature of your occupation and what you actually use your Ford Transit van for.

Insurers differentiate between social-only use, haulage cover, carriage of own goods or carriage of goods for hire, and it makes sense to discuss the use of your van in detail with any potential insurer to ensure you get the level of cover you require. Modifications to your vehicle could also affect your policy, so be sure to point out any internal or external changes you have made to your van.

Who needs transit van insurance?

Anybody who uses a Transit van on a public road is required to have a suitable insurance policy in place – it’s the law. As a social driver who doesn’t use a Transit van for commercial purposes, at the very least you will need a third-party policy to cover compensation/repair costs for other road users in the event of an accident where you were at fault.

Many Ford Transit owners use their van for commercial purposes. The large amount of space afforded by the Transit makes it the perfect work vehicle for heating engineers, joiners, plumbers, builders, plasterers and other professional tradespersons, many of whom will require carriage of own goods insurance as part of their Transit van insurance policy.

The spacious rear compartment of the Ford Transit also makes it the ideal for delivery drivers. People who use their Transit as a delivery vehicle will need haulage cover as part of their Transit van insurance policy.

What does transit van insurance cover?

No two occupations are alike, and as such Transit van insurance will vary from person to person. Commercial van insurance is a legal requirement for anybody who uses their Transit for work purposes, and your Transit van insurance policy should reflect the intended use of your vehicle. For example, if you are hiring out heavy machinery (such as cement mixers or pneumatic drills) you would require a carriage of goods for hire policy to cover your items. If you are a sole trader, you might want to consider business equipment insurance or carriage of own goods cover to protect your equipment against damage (as the result of an accident, for example) or theft.

Those who spend a lot of time travelling to several different destinations during the day (delivery drivers, for example) will want to consider haulage cover, which will protect the value of any goods in transit during the course of the working day.


  1. Specialist commercial van broker service and experience
  2. Option to cover for hire and reward
  3. Large panel of insurers with optional extras for you and your business
  4. Dedicated customer support with a UK based contact centre
  5. Ability to cover fleet

Read our blogs

Read our FAQ's

These include:

  • Micro/Small/Light – used to carry small loads or deliveries. The front end is similar to a car, but with a van back, and sometimes with a raised roof.
  • Medium/Panel – van derivative of a car, looks like the van equivalent with the back windows filled. Load area and cab are joined.
  • Large/Box – similar shape to the medium vans with a larger carrying capacity, load area is segregated from the cab.
  • Pick-up – cab with an open back, where the load is uncovered.

Read More

Yes, breakdown cover can be arranged please call 08081 68 68 68 to get a quote.

Read More

Yes, our insurers have specific insurance policies set up designed for couriers. In addition, we can also provide goods in transit cover to give you total peace of mind. 

Read More

When quoting for there are some slight differences as insurers have to include some of the following added risks:

  • The total weight of the loaded vehicle.
  • The size, type or nature of the contents carried i.e. hazardous load.
  • Modifications such as lifting ramps.
  • Ownership of the contents within i.e. do the goods belong to the vehicle owner?

Read More

Related Products