By providing your details you confirm you agree with our Terms and conditions and Privacy notice
Entrust icon 100% Secure


Builders' insurance

Since 1990 we've been building trust by ensuring the right insurance foundations are in place for our customers and their business.

Why choose us?

  • Great prices – builders insurance available from £62*
  • Policy excesses may be as low as just £100 for any one claim
  • UK based contact centre
  • Established in 1990 to help UK businesses find cover
  • £10 million liability cover as standard 

*Based on a builder quoted on a tradesman liability product with a £1million limit of indemnity, no other employees...

Read more
Feefo Logo
Constructaquote Feefo Star Rating

Rated 4.8 out of 5
from 1387 reviews

28 years of insuring business Call Us

What is builders' insurance?

Builders' insurance can cover you for various things such as public liability, employer’s liability, legal costs, tools and equipment and personal accident.  Having public liability insurance in place will help if there are claims made against your business for third party property damage and injury to members of the public. When working on site, you have a duty of care to protect your client and the public in case something goes wrong.

For example, if a ladder of yours fell onto a person or a car on the property you have a duty of care for, you would be held liable for the damages and injury and could face compensation claims and legal fees. This is why we offer £10 million of cover as standard for public liability insurance.

You can also add a professional indemnity policy to your cover allowing you to protect your business for errors in your work and advice that can lead to a financial loss for your client.

As a responsible builder who takes pride in their work, you can feel safe knowing you’re covered if the worst comes to the worst with a policy from

Do I need builders' insurance?

Any building contract involves not only the physical process of construction with the risks involved but very often the provision of advice to clients, the preparation of designs and drawings and the calculation of detailed specifications.

Though not a legal requirement, there are many reasons why you may want to consider builders' insurance. We can help you find the right policy, which can offer public liability and professional indemnity if that suits your business needs.

Whether you are a sole trader or the owner of a sizable building company, you can feel safe knowing you are protected if the worse comes to the worse.

Do I need to cover my employees?

You have a duty of care towards anyone you employ to help on your building projects. If an employee suffers an injury or contracts an illness or medical condition caused through their employment with you, you may be held liable and, ordered to pay a substantial sum in compensation.

It’s a legal obligation to hold a minimum of £5 million of cover to settle any claims successfully brought by an employee. You may face substantial fines for every day that you fail to arrange sufficient cover and might also be fined up to £1,000 for failing to display the relevant insurance certificate.

Although the minimum legal requirement is for £5 million of cover, the builders' insurance we arrange  offers £10 million of cover as standard.


  1. UK-based contact centre trained to help you with your insurance queries
  2. Ability to obtain a policy with cover up to £10 million
  3. Policies available both on per capita or turnover/wages basis
  4. Your cover can include own plant & tools, hired in plant and contract works

Read our Guides

Read our FAQ's

If your work requires the use of a lot of expensive tools that you take from client to client, you might benefit from tools insurance.
Unlike employers’ liability insurance, it is not a legal requirement to have public liability insurance. Having public liability insurance in place, however will help against claims made against your business for third party property damage and injury to members of the public. When working on site, you have a duty of care to protect your client and the public in case something goes wrong.
Professional indemnity insurance is cover for those who provide advice, design work, or any other professional service to customers.

Read More
Public liability is a legal liability to pay damages consequent upon bodily injury, illness, or disease sustained by any other person, other than employees, or…

Read More

Related Products