Retail and Shop Insurance - Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I need shop insurance?
Shop Insurance ensures complete peace of mind for your retail business. Within your shop insurance quote we can include public and employers liability cover, which will protect you against injury claims of members of your staff or the public entering your establishment.
How do I get a policy?
ConstructaQuote.com’s online quote comparison facility means that you simply enter your details once and our panel of insurers will provide competitive retail & shop insurance quotes for you to select from.
What is business interruption insurance?
Included within your shop insurance quote is business interruption insurance.
Business interruption covers your retail business against those losses that occur following an insured loss. For example, if your retail business suffered a major fire and you couldn't trade, business interruption insurance could pay for your lost earnings or additional costs for this period. For many shopkeepers, this is an essential part of their retail & shop insurance package.
Read more about business interruption insurance
What is public liability?
Public liability is a legal liability to pay damages consequent upon bodily injury, illness or disease sustained by any other person, other than employees, or loss of or damage to their property caused by the contractor. This is included in your shop insurance package with Constructaquote.com.
What is employers liability insurance?
Employers liability insurance is a legal liability to pay damages consequent upon bodily injury, illness or disease sustained by any employee in the course of their employment. You can include this cover as part of your retail & shop insurance.
What establishments are covered?
Shop insurance / retail insurance quotes are available for a wide range of UK businesses, and Constructaquote.com has special policies for:
Shop Insurance - Further Benefits
Seasonal increase on stock for any three months in the year up to £500,000
• Cover for trade samples and goods held in trust anywhere in Europe up to £5,000
• Property whilst at any exhibition stand in Europe including transit up to £10,000
• Automatic cover for buildings and machinery that you purchase during the period of insurance up to £500,000
• Temporary removal of machinery whilst being cleaned or repaired
• Costs and expenses in locating the source of water damage up to £10,000
• Nameplates, lamps and signs up to £500.
• The cost of changing locks following theft of keys up to £1,000
• Theft of computer and audio visual equipment at your premises up to £50,000
Provides cover including the breakdown of your computer equipment. This section can also be extended to include the increase in working expenses to right the damage and the cost of reinstating any lost data.
• Digital cameras and projectors used for processing, communicating and storing data up to £2,500
• Replacing incompatible software or programs following a loss up to £25,000
• Costs to investigate repairs to damaged equipment up to £25,000
Goods in Transit
Cover for your goods or stock whilst in transit, over land or water, anywhere in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
• Cover for your employees personal belongings up to £500
• Losses to sheets, ropes and packing materials
Provides cover for the breakage of all external and internal glass at your premises including sanitary fittings.
• Costs incurred in boarding up damaged glass
• Contents of display windows
• Costs of replacing alarm foil, lettering, painting or other ornamental work on glass
Deterioration of foods following the breakdown of refrigeration units or accidental failure of the public electricity supply
Cover for your plant and machinery following damage.
You can select from:
• Sudden and unforeseen damage
• Breakdown, explosion or collapse
• Accidental damage
• Liability for the plant you have hired in
• Automatic cover for any additional plant or machinery you have obtained
• Expenses for temporary replacement property following damage up to £10,000
Cover can be extended to include Terrorism.
Cover that protects you against loss of money and other property following theft or fraud by your employees
• Professional fees required to establish extent of loss
• Cost of labour to reinstate destroyed or erased computer records
• Cheque forgery
• Losses occurring under a previous policy once the discovery period has expired
• Third Party computer and fund transfer fraud
Interruption to your business following an insured loss under the Property Damage and Theft section, which results in reduced earnings and increased running costs
• Accidental failure of public electricity, gas and water supplies up to £25,000 per occurrence
• Accidental failure of telecommunication services up to £100 daily but limited to 2,500 per period of insurance
• Payment of expenses incurred despite a reduction in your income
• Additional expenses to assist you in preventing or reducing a drop in income such as overtime payments
Read more about business interruption insurance
• Damage at the premises of a customer or supplier
• Damage to property nearby which prevents access
• Subsidence, ground heave or landslip
Protection against your legal liability for bodily injury to your employees up to a limit of indemnity of £10,000,000 including costs and expenses
Public and Products Liability
• Protection against your legal liability for bodily injury to third parties and damage to their property, including obstruction, trespass, nuisance, interference, wrongful arrest and eviction
• Legal liability for fees, expenses, damages and claimants costs following injury or damage by goods that you have supplied, sold, repaired, tested or maintained.
Cover for you, your directors, partners and employees up to the age of 65 against accidental bodily injury. You can choose to protect on a named or unnamed persons basis.
Cover against accidental bodily injury
• Death, loss of limb(s), eye(s)
• Permanent total disablement from any occupation
• Temporary total disablement from usual occupation
• Temporary partial disablement
Cover is provided on a 24 hour basis but for unnamed persons you can restrict cover to injury occurring at work.
Cover includes medical and surgery expenses up to 15% of weekly compensation.
Cover for you and your employees whilst travelling on business:
• Medical expenses incurred outside of the UK
• Baggage and/or personal belongings
• Cancellation costs
For even more FAQs see our Shop Further FAQs Page