Monoxide kills pensioner after unsafe work
A pensioner in South Wales died from carbon monoxide poisoning after a chimney sweep failed to clear an obstruction from his chimney.
Mr Rees, of Maesteg Road, Llangynwyd, Maesteg had experienced problems keeping his coal burning fire alight and called on the services of Mr Jones, a chimney sweep.
Mr Jones, who had been a sweep and tradesman for more than 25 years, found a blockage in the chimney when cleaning it but failed to check that his work had removed it, he also failed to carry out a proper smoke test when the job was finished, or advise Mr Rees on ventilating the property.
Investigations by the HSE and a solid fuel specialist after the incident found that there was a large birds nest blocking the chimney.
Mr Jones, was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £2,500 in costs at Cardiff Crown Court following a prosecution by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
The HSE Inspector Stephen Jones, said: "Chimney sweeping is a vitally important job. Sadly Mr Rees paid for substandard work with his life.
"Sweeps must ensure work is done thoroughly and householders are given full information about proper ventilation of their homes to ensure similar tragedies do not happen in the future."